Kawasaki Mule 4000
The foundation of Kawasaki’s full-size industrial-grade utility vehicle line, the two-wheel drive Mule 4000 is a step up in cargo and towing capacity from the compact Mule 600 series, thanks to its full-size chassis and a more powerful engine, now equipped with digital fuel injection (DFI). The Mule 4000 also features a fully-automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
Fuel-Injected Power and a New Rugged Look
The foundation of Kawasaki’s full-size industrial-grade utility vehicle line, the two-wheel drive Mule™ 4000 is a step up in cargo and towing capacity from the compact Mule 600 series, thanks to its full-size chassis and a more powerful engine, now equipped with digital fuel injection (DFI). The Mule 4000 also features a fully-automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
For 2011, the Mule 4000 is powered by a liquid-cooled 617cc four-stroke V-twin. Managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU), its DFI system compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. This helps make engine starting smoother and more consistent, gives better throttle response and its improved fuel metering helps reduce fuel consumption. The system incorporates an automatic fast idle speed control, which activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. The system also regulates maximum engine speed, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor.
The Mule 4000 utilizes a continuously variable transmission (CVT) to provide quick acceleration and efficient pulling power. Dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive transfers power to a dual-mode differential that can be locked to maximize rear-wheel traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns.
In addition to an accurate, light-steering rack-and-pinion system, the easy-to-operate controls on the Mule 4000 are positioned to maximize comfort and convenience. The gear selector is located on the dash, within easy reach. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see and the headlights are activated by a convenient push-button switch. Instrumentation also includes an hour meter, and horn. The Mule 4000 also has a convenient air restriction gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced, and its fuse box and oil dipstick are easily accessed, thanks to their under seat location.
The Mule 4000’s all-new bodywork is designed to complement the styling of modern pickup trucks, with which it so often works side-by-side. The body panels are manufactured from a durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide minor scuffs and scratches. Its front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a now deeper storage space that’s equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process. The roomy cab on the Mule is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure that meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements.
Convenience features on the new Mule 4000 aren’t just limited to easy-access latches or controls; they also extend to owner-friendly features like the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly-simplify the winch mounting process.
The chassis of the Mule 4000 features MacPherson strut front suspension for a smooth, comfortable ride. The rear suspension utilizes a DeDion-type leaf-spring arrangement that’s designed to handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty. Sealed, self-adjusting hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels offer progressive stopping power, and large 23-inch tires at all four corners provide maximum traction for a variety of surfaces.
The Mule 4000 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and tow up to 1,200 pounds when equipped with the optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Kawasaki Mule 4000 Specifications:
- Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
- Displacement 617cc
- Bore x stroke 76 x 68mm
- Compression ratio 10.3: 1
- Carburetor Digital Fuel Injection
- Air filter Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
- Oil filter Automotive-type spin-on canister
- Ignition Digital electronic
- Electrical 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
- Transmission Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with forward and reverse
- Final drive Shaft, dual-mode rear differential
- Exhaust Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
- Tires 23×11-10 tubeless
- Front suspension / wheel travel Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
- Steering Rack and pinion
- Brakes Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
- Fuel capacity 6.2 gal.
- Curb Weight 1,312 lbs.
- Overall length 118.3 in.
- Overall width 62.0 in.
- Overall height 75.8 in.
- Wheelbase 73.6 in.
- Ground clearance 7.5 in.
- Roll over protective structure (ROPS) This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
- Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH) 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
- Load capacity 1,330 lbs.
- Cargo bed capacity 800 lbs.
- Towing capacity 1,200 lbs.
- Turning radius 11.0 ft.
- Top speed 25 mph, governed
- Instruments Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight, brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight
- Color choices Woodsman Green
- Good Times™ Protection Plan 12 or 24 months
- Warranty 12 Months
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
PO Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252