by Jon Crowley on 30/09/04 at 8:18 am
Many outdoor jobs require a rugged vehicle with hauling and towing capability, but full-sized pickup trucks are sometimes too cumbersome. Sportsmen often need a four-wheel drive vehicle to reach those favorite, out-of-the-way places, but full-sized SUVs can be a little inconvenient. The answer for both of these work and recreational needs is the 2005 Kawasaki MULE™ 3010 4×4 off-road utility vehicle.
Larger than an all-terrain vehicle, but smaller than a compact pickup truck, the MULE 3010 4×4 features a four-stroke engine, selectable four-wheel drive, an automatic transmission, bench seat and tilting cargo bed. To suit a variety of uses, Kawasaki makes it available in Aztec Red, Hunter Green or REALTREE HARDWOODS GREEN® HD™ camouflage.
The MULE 3010 4×4 utility vehicle features aggressive styling, a rugged grille, dual headlights and rounded fenders, and the body panels of the cab are made of durable, color-infused plastic to help hide scuffing. The front hood can be lifted with the touch of a button to reveal a large storage space, which also has convenient D-rings to secure cargo. Located beneath the front grille are winch-ready tabs for easy winch mounting, and a passenger-side grab rail is mounted on the cab frame. Plus, two lever latches make opening and closing the tailgate easy.
A liquid-cooled, four-stroke V-twin engine provides power for the MULE 3010 4×4 and features an air restrictor gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Plus, the fuse box and oil dipstick are located underneath the seat for easy access.
The V-twin engine is matched to the Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS) – Kawasaki’s continuously variable transmission – which features high and low range plus reverse. Combined with dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive, power is transmitted to a dual-mode rear differential that can be locked to maximize traction, or unlocked to minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns. The operator can also select four-wheel drive for extra pulling power in muddy conditions.
Controls on the MULE 3010 4×4 are easy to operate. The high/low-range, forward/reverse shift lever and the lever for selecting four-wheel drive operation are placed within easy reach on the dash. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see, and a push-button control activates the headlights. Other standard features include an hour meter, fuel gauge and horn.
The chassis of the MULE 3010 4×4 is a ladder-type frame that rides on a De Dion rear leafspring suspension designed to carry heavy loads yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo bed is empty. MacPherson struts handle front suspension duties, while rack-and-pinion makes steering light and maneuverable over rough terrain. Four hydraulically operated, self-adjusting drum brakes that are sealed to protect from water, mud and other debris provide stopping power, and 23-inch tires provide a comfortable ride and maximum traction over a variety of surfaces.
The MULE 3010 4×4 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and can tow 1,200 pounds.
2005 Kawasaki MULE™ 3010 4X4
Features and Benefits:
- The four-stroke, V-twin industrial engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
- The fully automatic transmission features high and low ranges plus reverse, giving the operator the right gear range for every job and extra pulling power when needed
- Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator extra traction in adverse conditions. Plus, the dual-mode differential can be “locked” for even more pulling power, or unlocked when traveling across delicate terrain
- Rack-and-pinion steering is light and more precise
- MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension and De Dion rear suspension can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
- Four wheel drum brakes are self-adjusting and feature extra sealing for protection against mud, dust and debris
- Bench seat provides comfort for two
- The steel cargo bed can carry more than 800 pounds and tilts for quick unloading
- With an optional Kawasaki tow hitch, it can tow 1,200 pounds
- Optional REALTREE HARDWOODS GREEN® HD™ camouflage model comes with a slip-resistant bedliner as standard
- The muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
2005 Kawasaki MULE™ 3010 4X4 Specifications:
- Engine: Four-stroke, overhead valve V-twin
- Displacement: 617cc
- Bore x stroke: 76 x 68mm
- Carburetor: Mikuni BW26-18
- Cooling: Liquid
- Ignition: Digital electronic
- Drive train: Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS) automatic torque converter; high/low range; forward, neutral, reverse
- Final drive: All-shaft; selectable four-wheel drive; dual-mode rear differential
- Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
- Overall length: 112.6 in.
- Overall height: 76.2 in.
- Overall width: 57.5 in.
- Ground clearance: 7.2 in.
- Tires: front/rear Tubeless 23 x 11-10
- Suspension: front/rear Independent, MacPherson strut-type/ semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks
- Brakes: front/rear Four-wheel sealed hydraulic drum
- Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
- Load capacity: 1,330 lbs.
- Bed capacity: 803 lbs.
- Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
- Dry weight: 1,314 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Instruments/lighting: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brakelight, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight
- Color: Hunter Green, Aztec Red, REALTREE HARDWOODS GREEN® HD™ camouflage
About Kawasaki Motors Corporation
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, utility vehicles and recreation utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,475 independent retailers, with an additional 8,000 retailers specializing in Kawasaki general purpose engines and hand-held power products. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,300 people in the United States, with 400 of them located at Irvine, California headquarters.
“Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.