by Jon Crowley on 06/10/07 at 9:01 pm
Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. announces an all-new version of its category-leading Side-by-Side (SxS) vehicle, the 2008 Rhino 700 FI Automatic 4×4. For 2008, Yamaha has built more power and fuel injection into this most versatile SxS, while also adding new features that enhance the riding experience.
The new Rhino 700 powerplant moves from 660cc to 686cc, and is adapted from Yamaha’s leading utility ATV, the Grizzly 700 FI. That means additional power throughout the entire rev range – most notably the enhanced low- to mid-range power. The Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) system improves throttle response
throughout the powerband helping the driver take advantage of that improved low- to mid-range power. YFI offers unmatched performance at high elevation as the system is able to detect and compensate for changes in altitude. The more precise fuel delivery offered by the YFI means clean power delivery, better throttle response and improved fuel economy under a multitude of riding situations. In addition, YFI removes the need for a choke and allows for cold starting, which is great for those early morning hunts or chores around the farm.
The list of engine updates continues with a new forged piston for reduced weight and added durability, and a new aluminum cylinder body with composite coating that offers reduced weight, increased cooling ability and additional wear resistance. The new roller rocker arms reduce friction in the valve train, which allows the engine to rev more freely leading to better overall performance and improved throttle response. Of course, the ultra-convenient electric start feature continues to make it easy to fire up the liquid-cooled, four-valve SOHC powerplant.
Getting the Rhino up and at ‘em is as easy as turning the ignition key, while choosing the best gear for your adventure is done with the automotive-style gear shifter located on the center console. Yamaha’s ultra-reliable Ultramatic(r) automatic transmission system transfers the power to the wheels and then to the trail — all you have to do is get on the gas pedal.
The Ultramatic system keeps constant tension on the drive belt to avoid unnecessary wear and tear as well as eliminate “freewheeling,” which is sometimes felt on other machines. The result is industry leading all-wheel engine braking – a must when heading down steep hills with a full load such as a pull-behind mower or a cargo bed full of seed bags or hay. For 2008, this tried-and-true system is beefed up for increased performance and durability under the additional power of the 686cc engine.
Also for 2008, the Ultramatic has a larger centrifugal clutch, increasing to 150mm; additionally, the six shoe design, stronger drive belt and lower gear ratio provide improved low-end power and smoother power delivery.
The Rhino is a proven, nimble machine, able to traverse the same terrain as an ATV. Adding to the Rhino’s terrainability is the On-Command(r) push button 2WD/4WD system with differential lock, which gives the driver options when it comes to matching machine to terrain. The Rhino 700 has 12.1 inches of ground clearance, and its fully adjustable and fully-independent front and rear dual A-arm suspension offers more than 7.3 inches of travel.
As you traverse some of the toughest terrain this side of the Mississippi, you’ll be reassured that the Rhino is by far the strongest beast in the woods. The 2008 Rhino 700 features larger axles and CV joints to better handle the power of the new engine. Larger 726mm CV joints and 21mm axles can be found up front while 72.6mm CV joints are out back. New front and rear A-arm guards prevent sticks and debris from getting to the boots. But never fear, should something find a way past those guards, the new CV boot material is more resistant to impacts and tearing.
When it comes to braking duties, the automotive-style brake pedal is at your service to control the new four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes with dual piston calipers, which provide unmatched stopping power and an improved brake feel. Also updated for 2008, the new brake pad material helps reduce noise, perfect for hunters trying to get an early start in the field. And, if you plan on staying awhile, the redesigned parking brake lever is located on the center console and easier to use than ever.
The Rhino 700 has you covered in the area of standard extras and creature comforts. The 12-volt accessory outlet is appreciated by those looking to plug in a GPS, spotlight or even a cell phone charger. As always, the Rhino offers padded bucket seats for both driver and passenger with headrests. And the beloved digital meter is standard on the Rhino 700 with some snazzy updates. For 2008, the meter offers self diagnostic capabilities for easy troubleshooting, a new voltage meter for monitoring battery condition, and the new hour meter function now runs only while the engine is running for more accurate servicing. The digital LCD multi-function display meter also features a speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, clock, fuel gauge and gear position display. Of course, with a 7.9 gallon fuel tank, you and your partner will be most concerned with enjoying the day-long ride.
Other extras for 2008 include redesigned seat and passenger grab handles and cup holders, perfect for that piping hot cup of coffee on a chilly winter morning. Also gracing the Rhino family beginning in 2008 are tough, rotomolded doors to keep mud, water and trail debris off the driver and out with nature, where they belong. Helping keep driver and passenger clean and keeping cabin noise to a minimum is the new noise and dust shield located behind the seats. The new under-hood, tools-free air filter is another new convenience and a snap to service in its new location, while the increase in overall filter size means that the filter will stay clean longer.
A standard two-inch receiver means you can put that low-end torque to good use while utilizing the same hitch from your pick-up truck; the cargo bed is capable of carrying 400 lbs, which means you will be hauling and towing your fair share of trophy game. The cargo bed features tilt levers on both sides of the bed for the added convenience of unloading your blind, game and equipment.
The all-new 2008 Rhino 700 FI Automatic 4×4 will be available in Hunter Green, Red and Realtree(tm) AP HD Camouflage at Yamaha dealerships nationwide starting October 2007.
Joining the standard Rhino 700 for 2008 are four “edition models” built to suit every users’ possible need or want. The Rhino 700 Special Edition offers one-piece cast aluminum wheels, sport steering wheel, silver seats, sun top and special edition graphics. The 2008 Rhino 700 Special Edition will be available in Steel Blue starting in October 2007.
All-new for 2008 is the Rhino 700 Midnight Armor Special Edition. The Midnight Armor SE features fully adjustable piggyback shocks, one-piece cast aluminum wheels, new injection-molded sun top, over fenders, Baja-inspired front carry bar and special black water-dipped body with flames and special graphic treatment. The 2008 Rhino 700 SE Midnight Armor version will be available starting December 2007.
The Rhino 700 Sport Edition is ready to rip with fully-adjustable piggyback shocks, one-piece cast aluminum wheels, injection-molded sun top, sport edition silver seats, headrests and shift knob, sport steering wheel, Baja-inspired front carry bar and brushed silver water-dipped body featuring sporty graphics and LED taillights. The Rhino 700 Sport Edition will be in Yamaha dealerships in October 2007.
For the sportsman of the group, The Ducks Unlimited Edition offer a full front windshield and molded sun top and features the Realtree(tm) Advantage Max-4 High Definition Camouflage and will be available in Yamaha dealerships October 2007.
Yamaha ATVs and SxS vehicles are designed, engineered and built tough! Yamaha Motor Corp., USA was started in 1977 and is a Japanese-based, wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Corporation. Yamaha Motor Corp., USA headquarters are located in Cypress, California. For more information on Yamaha, visit www.yamahaoutdoors.com
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI Features
- Rhino 700 FI Sport Edition is ready to rip with fully adjustable piggyback shocks, one-piece cast aluminum wheels, Sport Edition silver seats, brushed silver water-dipped body, injection-molded sun top, Baja-inspired front carry bar and Sport Edition graphics treatment. Plus, it also comes with dealer installed LED tail lights, brushed silver steering wheel cover and custom brushed silver shift knob.
- New four-wheel disc brakes provide unsurpassed stopping power, and a new parking brake is super convenient.
- All-stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum heat shields and screen-type spark arrestor lets the engine live up to its full power potential while it keeps things quiet.
- Tough, blow-molded doors keep mud, water and dirt on the trail where they belong.
- Console-mounted dual-range (H/L/N/R)shift lever.
- Operator and passenger seat belts.
- Now with two cup holders for even greater creature comfort.
- New underhood tool-free air filter is a snap to service.
- Heavy-duty CV joint guards protect against rock and debris damage.
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI Specifications
- Engine Type: 686cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; SOHC, 4 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 102.0 x 84.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
- Carburetion: Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) , 41mm
- Ignition: 32 Bit ECU
- Starting System: Electric
- Transmission: Yamaha Ultramatic® V-belt with all-wheel engine braking/H, L, N, R
- Engine Braking: All Wheel
- Drive Train: Yamaha On-Command® pushbutton;3-way locking differential; 2WD,4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
- Suspension/Front: Independent double wishbone, 7.3” w/ piggy back rebound, compression and threaded preload adjustment
- Suspension/Rear: Independent double wishbone, 7.3” w/ piggy back rebound, compression and threaded preload adjustment
- Tires/Front: AT25x8-12 NHS
- Tires/Rear: AT25x10-12 NHS
- Brakes/Front: Dual hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Brakes/Rear: Dual hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Length: 113.6 inches
- Width: 54.5 inches
- Height: 73 inches
- Wheelbase: 75.2 inches
- Turning Radius: 153.5 inches
- Ground Clearance: 12.1 inches
- Dry Weight: 1142 lbs
- Bed Capacity: 400 lbs
- Towing Capacity: 1212 lbs
- Lighting: Dual 30W Krypton multi-reflector headlights & dual LED brake/ backup lights
- Instrumentation: Enter Spec Digital LCD Multi-function display; speedometer, odometer, dual trip, hour, clock, fuel, and gear position
- MSRP: $12,099 (Brushed Silver) Available from November 2007
- Warranty: 6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)